Porta San Marco in Siena
Porta San Marco is one of the gates of Siena and it takes its name from an earlier Oratory, the Oratory of San Marco which was located exactly in the same street .
Porta San Marco is the gateway to Grosseto and for this reason it was also called Porta delle Maremme .
Probably it was built in the same period of Porta Tufi, or between the 1325 and 1326 to be then strengthened militarily through the fortifications of the ‘500 following a project by Baldassare Peruzzi.
In the past it opened onto the stretch of walls from Porta Laterino towards Porta Tufi.
However, the fortifications lost their defense functions over time and therefore it was decided in the nineteenth century to demolish them to build then Piazzale Biringucci.